NEW JOB....

NEW JOB - Grady Jr. EMS

I spent Monday (12-10-07) through Friday (12-14-07) doing the typical classroom orientation stuff. How GJ-EMS got it's start, how it's grown, benefits, training and CEU programs *a lot of CEU's ONLINE - yippie*, Toughbook's and touchpoint PCR software, road safety / CEVO, HIPPA, etc.I was definitely impressed with their "employees are our most valuable asset" concept: meaning that if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. They eat it, breathe it, sleep it, poop it, and maybe even brand it on your ass when you get released from orientation. But it's true. Basically they believe that if they meet (actually, most often exceed) the expectations of how the employees want to be treated, perks, nice equipment, comprehensive training, new (and actually functioning) technology, etc... that we will be more productive, nicer to colleagues, patients, and the public, less likely to burnout, less likely to climb a tower in Smyrna and start taking pop-shots at cars on 285, you get the picture. I like that. Actually from what little I have had the chance to observe, I see it in full action. The employees ARE HAPPY, NICE, and so far even seem competent. It is a 180 from Grady EMS. THAT, I LIKE.

Example one: On day three of class, my hunny went to the orthopaedic who is treating the ever persistant back injury. Doc said it's time to try Cortisone epidurals. Before I even knew what day it was gonna be scheduled, I asked the Ops Manager (sooo unlike his Grady EMS counterpart "Dragon Lady, head of the Grady Gestapo") what our third ride schedule was going to look like so I might plan to be off for the procedure. He tells me to go ahead and schedule the procedure and they will work around it. Say what? That shit would never have happened at Grady. The Grady mentality was screw you, screw your family. You work around OUR needs, not yours or theirs! Off the bat - I'm impressed.

I did my first third ride yesterday. Obviously since I've been around the ambulance a few times, my FTO asked me what *I* needed to work on to feel more comfortable to transition to GJ-EMS. I answered honestly that I was very inexperienced (intimidated) with the laptop and the PCR software. He immediately designated THAT as my main task for the day... to write all the PCR's for all the trips.

The mind blower came with our final call of the day. We responded to a vehicle that may have hydroplaned sideways on a 4-lane and was struck at high speed t-boned in the passenger door. Lucky for that car it was a single occupant, because there was nearly two feet of intrusion damage to the passenger side. She did not walk away unscathed though. She had a positive loss of consciousness and kept asking repetitive questions all the way to the trauma center. Probably a nasty concussion, not to dismiss a more serious brain injury is also to be considered. But what amazed me was Cobb Fire. Their rescue unit was already on scene, the patient was in a collar, c-spine being held, a full assessment had been performed, an IV started, and they were just waiting on the transport unit to arrive before pulling her out and back-boarding her in the downpour. Once we arrived the tented a tarp over the work area keeping us all dry as we worked as a TEAM to get her immobilized and into the ambulance. TEAMWORK! Smooth as glass teamwork!

I think I am gonna like it here!

Popular posts from this blog

I'll take BAD NEWS for $500, Alex....

Paying It Forward... (or) Repaying a Priceless Debt...

Blogger Spotlight: TONY TRIMBLE